Mobile Home

Replacement Cost:

It is most important that your coverage or policy limit be enough to replace your unit, and rebuild any structures attached to it, in the event of a total loss, including debris removal, transportation, taxes, setup and skirting and/or foundation. Most mobile home "packages" (generally restricted to units less than 30 years old and well maintained) cover your contents for full Replacement Cost (new for old) as well. Although "packages" include an automatic amount for personal belongings, this might not be enough if you have antiques or expensive furnishings. Please give this some thought as you can increase the contents limit on the policy if needs be. We can provide you with a Residence Inventory form to help you establish your current replacement cost value for contents.


It is important that you advise your agent of any renovations you make to your home - they can then make sure that your building limit remains current in light of any changes, as well as address any changes to your heating system which might affect your policy. If you move your mobile home to another site, this insurance isn't valid while the unit is being moved (check to make sure your mover has cargo coverage). You need to let your agent know ahead of time, if you can, so they can make arrangements for the coverage to be transferred to the new location.


Insurance companies charge your premium based on the type of primary and auxiliary heating, if any. Even if your policy doesn't mention secondary or auxiliary heating, it is imperative that you declare it to your insurance agent so that documentation is made on your file. Wood burning units and their chimneys are of special concern, especially with respect to installation, approval labeling and maintenance. You may be required to have the unit inspected by a Certified Wood Heat Technician to ensure that it meets current building codes and is safe for you and your family.

During the Heating Season:

All home policies contain a clause regarding minimizing pipe rupture/water damage claims caused by freezing during the usual heating season. If you are going to be away from your home for more than 4 consecutive days*, during the heating season, you must either arrange for a competent person to check the home daily to maintain the heat OR drain the water from the system. If you have made either of these efforts, your coverage will remain intact.
*The amount of time may vary between carriers.

Special Limits:

Many "target" items carry special policy limits, such as Jewelry, Furs, Business Property, Bikes, Coin or Stamp Collections, Watercraft, Money, Securities or Theft from passenger compartment of vehicle limit. Please check your policy wording to see what limits apply to your coverage. You can usually arrange for increased limits or floaters to cover the extra amounts of coverage that you need.

Types of Perils or Coverage:

There are two main types of coverage, STANDARD, BROAD AND COMPREHENSIVE. The Standard Form is the most common, and lists the perils you are insured against. These are usually: *Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Smoke, Falling Object, Impact by Aircraft or Land Vehicle, Riot, Vandalism or Malicious Acts, Water Escape/Rupture/Freezing, Windstorm or Hail, Glass Breakage, Transportation, Theft, Sewer or Private Drain Backup (Optional), Electric Damage or Bursting of Fuel Tanks. The Broad Form insures against All Risk on the building and Named Perils on the contents, so it is quite complicated to sort out - your best bet is to contact your Insurance Agent for clarification. Comprehensive is All Risk on BOTH building AND contents. There are always exclusions, so read your policy carefully and stay in touch with your agent.
*Perils will vary between carriers, so check your policy against this list. Earthquake insurance for mobile homes can carry its own requirements.